Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Second day of Chinese New Year, Friday, 8th February 2008

Was rudely awakened by the loud music and chattering outside my room.

It was my brother's friends. Four of them and a maid. They came around to visit my parents. I joined them at the table but didn't talk much. I think it's me. I always know I have this peculiar mood every time I wake up in the morning. Just didn't like to talk and feeling grumpy. Funny huh?

In the afternoon, we went to another aunt's house in Lip Sin. Gosh. The apartment was packed with so many people that my brother and I had to resort to stay in one of the rooms. The only place where there is space. Later on, I moved to squeeze with them in with the younger generation to avoid people branding the Ooi brothers for being anti-social. Everyone was watching the Cantonese comedy on TV so nobody was talking. I didn't mind at all. I think I liked it like that.

After half an hour, all of us, literally all of us, around 20 something people, walked over to next door to visit another aunty. We were there for about 10 minutes then left to visit another aunty in Minden Heights. Actually, they were my mum's childhood friends. 8 and 9 altogether. Most of them are married with children and not in Penang, so it was a good time for mum to catch up with them. I went to join the younger generation at the other table. We used to grow up and spend our childhood times together. Those were really happy times. However, it's just so strange that now that we have grown up, we don't talk that much anymore.

We didn't stay for dinner. I am relieved. I heard they were preparing for steamboat. Uncle invited us for dinner at Farlim, so we went to join them. The restaurant was packed with so many people but we didn't have to wait long for the food. We even had discount for our drinks. I later heard that my cousin was a good friend to the owner's son. Not bad huh. Haha.

As I was driving home, I received a message from Wayne. He was in the hospital visiting Aunty Irene. He said that she was in a very critical condition. I msged him back to ask whether is there anything I could help. The reply came and it read "she was called home to be with the Lord". Though, I am not really that close to Aunty Irene, but I can't help to feel very sad.

I can still remember this day last year; she was talking to me in the CNY open house at Jason's house in BM. She prepared a very special dish; baby tomatoes cut to look like a small rabbit and stuffed with a bit of asam to make the whole thing taste unique. I told her it was very nice and she said she would make more next time. It saddens me to know that that there is no more next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home